The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
BEng (Hons) Scheme in Product and Industrial Engineering 產品及工業工程(榮譽)工學士學位組合課程
PROD & INDUSTRIAL ENGG
This Scheme embodies the following two honours degree programmes to facilitate a student to choose freely either one of them based on his/her own preference after admission to the University*1.
- BEng (Hons) in Industrial and Systems Engineering
- BEng (Hons) in Product Engineering with Marketing
With technological advances and ever-increasing demand for high-quality products and services at affordable costs, product and industrial engineers are required to contribute to the development of creative and efficient processes for both the industrial and business sectors. The Scheme equips students with the knowledge, skills and creativity needed for pursuing careers in product and industrial engineering. It also provides students with comprehensive education and professional training at honours degree level, and help preparing them as engineers and professionals who are efficient in developing quality solutions for the best of both worlds: engineering and business.
The programme in Product Engineering with Marketing specialises in product design, manufacturing, and marketing for the efficient and effective generation of successful new products. The programme in Industrial and Systems Engineering concentrates on the design, human factors, process improvement, and system efficiency to sharpen a company’s competitive edge for succeeding in today’s rapid changing world. Both programmes have been recognised by the Hong Kong Institution of Engineers (HKIE) as a professional engineering degree programme under the Washington Accord*2.
Our graduates are employed by a wide range of global and local organizations, such as BMW, Cathay Pacific, Daikin, Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Company Ltd, Hong Kong Gas, Hong Kong Productivity Council and Johnson Electric, etc. They typically start their career in a variety of roles, including Industrial Engineer, Product Engineer, Project Engineer, Quality Engineer, Marketing Engineer, and Management Trainee.
*1 The average admission scores of any best five HKDSE subjects are in the range of 20.5 – 21.9 during the past three years.
*2 The Washington Accord is an international agreement between bodies responsible for the accreditation of tertiary-level engineering qualifications. Currently, it has eighteen signatories, including the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, Japan, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, Malaysia, and New Zealand.
Students may be required to take extra subjects in Physics depending on their entry qualifications.
- Programme Entrance Requirements
- General Entrance Requirements
- Information and Communication Technology; and
- All single and combined Science subjects.
Relevant Applied Learning subjects that can be considered for meeting the University entrance requirement and admission score calculation are:
- Applied Business Research;
- Automotive Technology;
- Electrical and Energy Engineering; and
- Marketing and Online Promotion.
|Core Subjects||Minimum Level|
|MATHEMATICS COMPULSORY PART||2|
|Elective Subject(s)||Minimum Level|
|ANY 2 SUBJECTS||3|
|ANY 1 SUBJECT||3|
|MATHEMATICS EXTENDED MODULE 1 OR 2||3|
Flexibilities on admission selection are available as follows:
- Individual Broad Disciplines (BDs) / degree programmes will accept one relevant Applied Learning (ApL) subject for meeting the entrance requirements. An attainment at "Attained with Distinction" level will be required.
- Other Language subjects (i.e. Category C) offered in the HKDSE Examination will be accepted as elective subjects. Grade E or above is required.
- If students have taken both M1 and M2, they will only be considered as one subject and the best grade will be taken into consideration during admission selection.
- Students endorsed by schools for meeting EDB’s specified conditions and having achieved the required grade [i.e. Grade E or above in GCE(A-Level) / GCE(AS-Level) OR Grade C or above in a IGCSE / GCSE / GCE(O-Level) Chinese Language subject or Applied Learning Chinese [ApL(C)] at Attained level or above] will be regarded as obtaining a Level 3 in HKDSE Chinese for meeting our entrance requirements.
- No penalty is applied to applicants with multiple attempts in HKDSE Examination. Similar subjects are considered once and the best grade will be taken into consideration during admission selection.
- There is no compulsory subject requirement for our programmes. Preferred subjects, if applicable, are listed in the 'Entrance Requirements & Subject Weightings' section of individual programme entries. Satisfactory performance in preferred subjects will have a positive influence on admission selection. However, applicants who have not taken the preferred subjects will still be considered for admission but they may need to take relevant underpinning subjects after admission to PolyU.
- For admission to the BSc(Hons) in Nursing and BSc(Hons) in Mental Health Nursing, students must have Level 3 or above in at least two HKDSE elective subjects from Category A. Please refer to www.hkeaa.edu.hk/en/hkdse/assessment/subject_information/ for details of the HKDSE subject categories.
Calculation of scores for applicants with more than 1 sitting in HKDSE Examination
No penalty is applied to applicants with multiple attempts in HKDSE Examination. Similar subjects are considered once and the best grade will be taken into consideration during admission selection.
First Year Tuition Fee
Ms Havina Chow, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Tel: 2766 6620
Ms Becky Chan, Department of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Tel: 3400 3838