City University of Hong Kong
City University of Hong Kong
The information in this page (except Statistics) is provided by the institution. Should there be any discrepancies between information listed here and on the institutions' websites, the latter shall prevail.
Please contact the respective institution directly if you have any enquiries.
BA Linguistics and Language Applications 文學士(語言學及語言應用)
This major aims to educate students so that they will become language professionals who are familiar with linguistics and language-related applications. Students will also develop an analytical, critical and creative mind and an open attitude towards people from different cultures.
This major provides students with a solid foundation in the scientific study of human language. Students will be prepared for careers that require language expertise and language-related computing skills. In addition to opportunities in advanced studies, graduates will have employment prospects in education and research, as well as in administrative and executive positions in various public and private sectors. They will have an important role to play in language and information service sectors of Hong Kong, Greater China, and world-wide. Moreover, this major is recognized by the Education Bureau as an English language major degree for the purpose of teaching in Hong Kong.
There are two main subject areas: Linguistics and Language Applications.
- Core courses in Linguistics include: Fundamentals of Linguistics, Language in Society, Language and Mind, Phonetics, Phonology, Syntax and Semantics.
- Core courses in Language Applications include: Introduction to Language Technology and Computational Linguistics.
- At a more advanced level, students may choose from among courses such as Computational Lexicography, Computer-Aided Translation, Computer-Assisted Language Learning, Conversation Analysis, Corpus Linguistics, Experimental Phonetics, First/Second Language Acquisition, Psycholinguistics, Sociolinguistics, and Translation.
Participating in the internships and other co-curricular activities offered provides valuable job experience in fields that require knowledge of languages, linguistics and language applications.
Exchange programmes provide students with opportunities to gain experience of studying and living abroad for a semester, by paying the local tuition fees.
The department also offers two Joint Bachelor's Degree Programmes with National Taiwan University and Columbia University. Students can get 2 degrees by studying 2 years in LT and 2 years at a partner university. For detailed information, please visit https://lt.cityu.edu.hk/Programmes/Joint-BAs/.
Students may also opt for double majors within CityU and major plus minor programme or Undergraduate plus Taught Postgraduate Degree (TPg) programmes (https://lt.cityu.edu.hk/Programmes/CityU-Talents-Progs/Undergrad-plus-TPg/).
# Indicative intake quotas for JUPAS and non-JUPAS admissions, subject to change.
Useful Information for JUPAS Applicants
Assessment of Applications
Flexible Admission Arrangement for JUPAS Applicants
Special Consideration for JUPAS Applicants
CityU Scholarships for Hong Kong Talents
CityU Tiger Programme
JUPAS Admissions Score Reference
- Programme Entrance Requirements
- General Entrance Requirements
|CITIZENSHIP AND SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT
|MATHEMATICS COMPULSORY PART
|ANY 2 SUBJECTS
- Liberal Studies would be used as the alternative of the core subject requirement of Citizenship and Social Development.
- Unspecified electives may include Category A elective subjects, Mathematics extended modules (M1/M2) (except for JS1801) and Category C other language subjects (at grade E or above) (except for JS1200, JS1201, JS1217, JS1801, JS1805, JS1806 and JS1807). If students take both M1 and M2, they are counted as one subject only.
- Applied Learning (ApL) subjects are not counted as elective subjects, except for JS1041, JS1042, JS1043, JS1044, JS1805, JS1806 and JS1807.
- Please refer to the minimum entrance requirements webpage for details.
- Applicants who are marginally failed to meet the entrance requirements of the programme may still have opportunity of admission. CityU will continue the flexibility towards the minimum entrance requirements for JUPAS applicants in 2024/25 entry. The details of flexible admission arrangement will be announced in due course.
- For details of the alternative Chinese Language qualifications acceptable by the University for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) students, please click here.
Calculation of scores for applicants with more than 1 sitting in HKDSE Examination
CityU accepts repeat results and will use the best results in assessing whether applicants fulfil the entrance requirements and to calculate admission scores.
First Year Tuition Fee
Application Statistics (after Modification of Programme Choices)
Offer Statistics (as at the Announcement of the Main Round Offer Results)
The information provided is subject to ongoing review. The University reserves the right to amend the information from time to time.