The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
BSc (Hons) Scheme in Biotechnology, Food Safety and Chemical Technology 生物科技、食物安全及化學科技(榮譽)理學士組合課程
BIOT, FOOD SAFE & CHEM T
The following programmes are offered under the above scheme:
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Applied Biology with Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Chemical Technology
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Food Safety and Technology
Different programmes of this scheme will share some common subjects, and there should be no less than 27 common credits in the first three semesters (excluding summer terms). Students are expected to have chosen their study in a specific Major programme of the scheme by the end of the third semester of their study.
After successfully completing the four-year programme, students are awarded a degree in their selected Major programme.
- Students will be awarded one of the following awards upon successful completion of the graduation requirements of the programme concerned:
- BSc (Hons) in Applied Biology with Biotechnology
- BSc (Hons) in Chemical Technology
- BSc (Hons) in Food Safety and Technology
- Students are subject to further assessment criteria i.e. students’ own choice, GPA and interview performance in selection of awards at the end of their Year One study.
- The option of Secondary Major in Innovation and Entrepreneurship is available to the students of BSc (Hons) in Applied Biology with Biotechnology. Admission to the Secondary Major is on competitive basis and subject to a different credit requirement for graduation.
- To recognise the outstanding academic performance of HKDSE students, the Department will grant entry scholarships to eligible HKDSE students admitted to the Scheme via JUPAS. The award criteria for the scholarship are listed in the information sheet; they are subject to change and will be announced on the same website in due course.
- Programme Entrance Requirements
- General Entrance Requirements
- English Language
- Combined Science: Biology + Chemistry
- Combined Science: Biology + Physics
- Combined Science: Physics + Chemistry
Relevant Applied Learning subjects that can be considered for meeting the University entrance requirement and admission score calculation are:
- Child Care and Development
- Child Development and Care
- Environmental Engineering
- Events Planning and Operation
- Exercise Science and Health Fitness
- Food and Beverage Operations
- Foundation in Chinese Medicine
- Fundamental Health Care
- Health and Beauty Keeping in TCM
- Health Care Practice
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Sports Coaching and Management
|Core Subjects||Minimum Level|
|MATHEMATICS COMPULSORY PART||2|
|Elective Subject(s)||Minimum Level|
|ANY 2 SUBJECTS||3|
|ANY 1 SUBJECT||3|
|MATHEMATICS EXTENDED MODULE 1 OR 2||3|
Flexibilities on admission selection are available as follows:
- Individual schemes / programmes will accept one relevant Applied Learning (ApL) subject for meeting the entrance requirements. An attainment at Attained with Distinction (I) level or above / Attained with Distinction (obtained in 2017 or before) is required.
- Other Language subjects (i.e. Category C) offered in the HKDSE Examination will be accepted as elective subjects. Grade E or above is required.
- If students have taken both M1 and M2, they will only be considered as one subject and the best grade will be taken into consideration during admission selection.
- Students endorsed by schools for meeting EDB’s specified circumstances and having achieved the required grade in Chinese in one of the following examinations will be regarded as obtaining a Level 3 in HKDSE Chinese for meeting our entrance requirements:
Exam Level Min. Grade GCE O-Level C GCSE N/A C / 4 IGCSE N/A C / 4 HKDSE ApL(C) N/A Attained GCE A-Level E GCE AS-Level E
- No penalty is applied to applicants with multiple attempts in HKDSE Examination. Similar subjects are considered once and the best grade will be taken into consideration during admission selection.
- There is no compulsory subject requirement for our schemes / programmes. Preferred subjects, if applicable, are listed in the 'Entrance Requirements & Subject Weightings' section of individual scheme / programme entries. Satisfactory performance in preferred subjects will have a positive influence on admission selection. However, applicants who have not taken the preferred subjects will still be considered for admission but they may need to take relevant underpinning subjects after admission to PolyU.
- For admission to Scheme in Nursing, the BSc (Hons) in Nursing and BSc (Hons) in Mental Health Nursing, students must have Level 3 or above in at least two HKDSE elective subjects from Category A. Please click here for details of the HKDSE subject categories.
- The study places offered by PolyU through JUPAS are intended primarily for admission of local school leavers. Applicants who are studying a scheme / programme or have attained qualifications at the same or above level as the schemes / programmes for which they are applying will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Please note that local and non-local applicants are considered under different admission routes with different intake quotas. Non-local applicants seeking admission on the basis of HKDSE results should submit their applications directly to PolyU. Please click here for details on the admission requirements for non-local applicants.
- Applicants who fall short slightly on the general entrance requirements of our schemes / programmes but meet the following conditions will be specially considered for admission:-
a) with one HKDSE subject result falling one level below the required level but attain a total score of 26 points# or above in the best five subjects;
b) have selected PolyU’s schemes / programmes as their Band A choices i.e. first 3 priorities, in JUPAS; and
c) passed an admission interview.
- The flexibility for special consideration for admission is extended to sports talents under the Outstanding Sportsmen Recommendation Schemes (OSRS), applicants being nominated under Multi-faceted Excellence Scholarship (MES) / School Principal’s Nominations (SPN), as well as applicants with outstanding achievements in Other Experiences and Achievements in Competitions / Activities (OEA). Conditional offers with more favorable conditions will be issued to the applicants concerned.
#HKDSE level attainments will be converted to score points where level 5** = 8.5, 5*=7, 5=5.5, 4=4, 3=3, 2=2, 1=1 and Unclassified=0
Calculation of scores for applicants with more than 1 sitting in HKDSE Examination
No penalty is applied to applicants with multiple attempts in HKDSE Examination. Similar subjects are considered once and the best grade will be taken into consideration during admission selection.
First Year Tuition Fee